After being founded as a not-for-profit association in 1998 under the impetus of the French government, a number of local authorities and the French Muscular Dystrophy Association (Association Française contre les Myopathies, AFM-Telethon), Genopole® became a Groupement d’Intérêt Public (GIP, a form of public-private joint venture) on March 1, 2002, for a 12-year period.
The GIP provides an appropriate legal status for attracting and managing resources and funding contributed by both the public and private sectors, whilst maintaining Genopole®’s mission for the common good.
Genopole®’s founding members are:
- The French Ministry of Research and Higher Education
- Ile-de-France Regional Council
- Essonne County Council
- The Evry Centre-Essonne Urban Area
- The City of Evry
- The University of Evry Val-d’Essonne (UEVE)
- The French Muscular Dystrophy Association (AFM)